How do you make the National Sport Academy Soccer Program your Favorite class of the day?
the National Sport Academy Soccer Program?
An opportunity for committed soccer enthusiasts to combine athletics and academics by participating in the National Sport Academy Soccer Program as a regular school class each day. The National Sport Academy coaches work with athletes to help them understand exactly what it takes to “achieve their dreams” by teaching what is required to live the lifestyle of a successful high performance student athlete.
consider the National Sport Academy Soccer Program?
The soccer program is for competitive female and male soccer athletes in grades 5 to 12. The goal is to have athletes on the pitch with common skills that require similar time and space to execute technical and tactical skills. Typically, soccer athletes in the top 20-30% of their age group are accepted into the National Sport Academy Soccer Program. Athletic assessments are part of the application process.
I attend the National Sport Academy Soccer Program?
- Led by professional, dedicated coaches
- Innovative, creative & passionate
- Focused on improving performance in 3 dimensions
- Athletic Development, Sport Specific Development & Character Development
- Experience quality, purposeful practices
- Repetition, Risk Taking
- Develop technical skills and ability
- Attacking Principles, Defending Principles & Decision Making
- Learn advanced technical and tactical skills
- Dribbling, Turning, Ball Striking, Receiving Techniques, Passing & Finishing
- Develop and maintain a high performance lifestyle
the components of the National Sport Academy Soccer Program?
Training activities are designed at the optimum time of the school year to compliment the various phases of the indoor and outdoor playing seasons with your club team. National Sport Academy training sessions are scheduled Monday - Friday during the regular school day and incude the following components:
Sport Specific Training
Tactical themes are established to increase an athlete's understanding and passion for the game, translating to a more effective and imaginative presence on the pitch:
Sport training sessions are innovative and focus on individual needs. Athletes are challenged in a positive and competitive environment.
Strength & Conditioning Training
- In-season and off-season training plans are designed for today’s serious soccer athletes and compliment the Sport Specific training. The goal is to maximize the effectiveness of all soccer specific energy systems focusing on strength, power, agility and cardiovascular training.
- Strength & Conditioning training may take place at Southland Leisure Centre, Absolute Sports Centre, and RT Alderman School / Senator Patrick Burns School / Central Memorial High School.
Coaching & Leadership
Coaching & Leadership is a National Sport Academy course designed to connect the student athlete’s experiences in sport while highlighting qualities that prepare them for success. Coaching & Leadership projects showcase student athletes’ development, experiences and successes in sport and in life!
Some Coaching & Leadership components are:
- Dreams & Destinations
- Routes, Scholarships & Choices
- Goal Setting
- Student of the Game: Video Analysis
- Student Athlete: Video Analysis
- Lifestyle of a High Performance Soccer Athlete
- Foundations for Training: Indoor, Outdoor and Strength & Conditioning
- High Performance Nutrition
Central Memorial High School, 5111 21 Street SW
RT Alderman School, 725 Mapleton Drive SE
More questions? Click here to see Frequently Asked Questions
The National Sport Academy was the first school based program in Calgary. Over the past 20 years, hundreds of young men and women have graduated from the National Sport Academy and have gone on to play NCAA, CIS, ACAD and NAIA.
For more information on the National Sport Academy Soccer program: